You can make these toners at home using simple effective ingredients from your own kitchen. Take control of your body, by limiting unnecessary chemicals entering your body by choosing fresh organic products.
Toners help gently clean skin, and are a great way to brighten and freshen up during the day, for example, after the gym or work, or maybe your skin feels sweaty after a hot day. These recipes are great after a deep cleanse to sooth the skin and prepare it for makeup application.
LEARN ABOUT THE BENEFITS OF PH BALANCING YOUR SKIN.
The skin needs to maintain a balanced pH to stay looking smooth and blemish free, and to keep from becoming too dry or too oily. These Natural toning recipes offer fresh sources of nutrients to, they contain beneficial ingredients such as antioxidants and humectants, and can even help prep the skin to help it better absorb other products’ ingredients. If you use a toner after cleansing and before moisturizing, it can help restore moisture the cleanser has stripped from your skin, and make any serums or moisturizers that you apply work more effectively.
CHOOSE THE CORRECT TONER FOR YOUR SKIN.
Make sure you use the right toner for your skin type. You may find the wrong toner to drying, or causing to much oilyness. Make sure you visit a beautician to identify your skin type if you are unsure. Many toners contain alcohol which can dry out the skin and cause it to flake or overproduce oil. Plus, many shop bought toners have added fragrances are unnecessary chemicals which can irritate the skin. Plus, some commercial toners contain preservatives and other harmful ingredients. That’s why it’s a good idea to use a natural toner.
THE 5 DIFFERENT SKIN TYPES!
When considering which of the recipes below to use, please bear in mind your skin type. There are 5 types of skin, dry, oily, combination, sensitive and normal.
- Dry skin tends to have more wrinkles and feels tight after washing, and may have dry skin visibly showing. Mature skin can also fall into this category. Menopausal women suffer hormone changes that reduce oil production in the skin.
- Oily skin develops a shine an hour or more after washing, and usually has contains blackheads and spots. Generally, this applies to people under 30 years old, hormones take time to settle. Plus, people on certain medications or who eat a poor diet can suffer oily skin.
- Combination skin is in between, with oilyness on the nose, chin. This is a common category affecting all ages.
- Sensitive skin reacts easily to products, and flares up with sore itchy red patches. Typically, people with eczema and psoriasis fall in this category, and need to be careful if what is applied to the skin. Advice from a skin professional should be sought before trying any unknown products.
- Normal skin, is just that, its not greasy, and not dry….lucky you if you have normal skin! But this is a rare category.
So let’s get on and make some toners. Please store your toners in a glass jar. The toner recipes are split into skin types….
APPLE CIDER VINEGAR TONER – FOR OILY SKIN
Apple cider vinegar helps normalise the ph balance of skin to 7.4. It also gently exfoliates, so helps de-block pores, loosen blackheads, and assists in controlling bacteria on skin.
- 1 Cup of distilled Water
- 1/2 Cup of Apple Cider Vinegar Raw and Unpasturised (My recipe here!).
- Mix ingredients into a glass bottle with lid, and shake…that’s it!
To use, slightly soak a cotton ball, and apply to your face…avoiding the eyes. This mixture will keep for 1 month.
BASIL AND TEA-TREE TONER – FOR OILY & ACNE SKIN
The basil ingredient in this recipe works wonders on acne problem ski, due to its anti-septic properties. The Tea-Tree essential oil used in this recipe, can help reduce bacteria on the skin.
- 1 1/2 Cups of distilled Water.
- 3 Tablespoons of dried basil leaves
- 6 drops of tea-tree essential oil.
- Put the basil leaves in water and bring to boil, then turn off heat.
- Then leave this mixture to soak for about 2-3 hours.
- Then, when the mixture is cool, strain it through a sieve or piece of muslim cloth into your glass jar.
- Then add 6 drops of your tea-tree.
To use, just add some to a cotton ball and apply to face after cleansing, or to freshen up. Will keep for 1 month, store in the fridge.
ORANGE AND LEMON TONER – FOR NORMAL & OILY SKIN
The citrus juice in this recipe contains lots of vitamin C, helping to brighten and enliven the skin.
- 1 1/2 Cups of distilled water.
- Juice of 1 fresh lemon.
- Juice of 1 fresh orange.
- Grated rind of 1 fresh lemon.
- Boil the distilled water and remove from heat.
- Add the lemon juice and rind to water
- Pour this into a jar and let mixture soak overnight in the fridge
- Strain this mixture into your chosen bottle
- Squeeze the juice of fresh lemon into the mixture
To use, soak a cotton ball and apply to face after cleansing or to freshen up skin.
REFRESHING CUCUMBER TONER – FOR ALL SKIN TYPES
This toner is very hydrating and soothing, but doesn’t make the skin oily. You can make this toner into a spray by straining the liquid through material…
- 1/2 a cucumber chopped up finely.
- 1/4 Cup rose water.
- 1 teaspoon of Pure vegetable glycerin.
- Put all the ingredients in a blender, and blend until it’s and creamy mixture.
- You can dab the creamy mixture onto your skin and wipe excess away with tissue… or
- You can pour your mixture onto a piece of cheese cloth, or a fresh stocking held securely over a bowl, then squeeze the juice out of the mixture.
- Then pour the juice into a spray bottle.
Use after cleansing or for a quick freshen up – soak a cotton ball or spray on face if you’re using a spray bottle.
HYDRATING ALOE VERA TONER – FOR DRY SKIN (or Oily)
This hydrating toner is particularly good for dry skin, but can be tried on combination and normal. This recipe is very gentle and soothing. You can replace the orange water with witch hazel if you have oily skin. Neroli is fabulous for skin renewal, by promoting smoother skin.
- 1/2 Cup of distilled water.
- 2 Teaspoons of Pure Aloe Vera gel.
- 1/2 Teaspoon of orange flower water (Or witch hazel for oily skin).
- 1 drop of Pure Certified Neroli essential oil. 1 drop of rosemary essential oil.
Simply pour all the ingredients into your chosen bottle, shake and it’s ready to use. Soak a cotton ball and apply to face after cleansing.
Thank you for reading!